Saturday, May 2, 2009

reentry

I am home. I arrived almost two weeks ago, and finally feel totally in this time zone. 
 
It takes me a while to find my feet again after travel,  to readjust to time zones. 

I have been hanging out with my family, seeing friends, and catching up with my clients. I have had two conversations with midwives planning trips to Bali to volunteer at the clinic. 

I have attended two births of fabulous women, strong, beautiful, fierce women. 

Next week I have a root canal scheduled, and I hope to get to work in my garden. It is an overgrown mess. 

So am I a changed woman?
Have my views on life or birth changed?

Will my practices change?

I don't know.

I am still a bit numb from the experience, still processing all I saw and did. I do know that I would like to  delay clamping and cutting the cord more often than I did before I left.

I do know that I have more faith that even slow slope second stages resolve well, if mom and baby are fine. 

I know that I am privileged, and that our flawed frustrating medical system is pretty damn good. 

I will know more later after I sit in a few more births, and hang out with my family some more. 


treesa 

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I included your blog on a list at http://sarahmidwife.blogspot.com

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treesa,

    I found your blog after a google search. Sorry if this is an intrusion but I was hoping for more of your feedback on midwifery in Bali. I am an American living in Bali with my French husband and we are expecting our first child in June. So far my two visits to an international hospital in Denpasar has been unsatisfactory with no pelvic and a blood test only at my request. Where is the clinic you worked with? Do they accept international couples? Is there always an English speaking midwife available? Trying to get any information here has been a bit frustrating since we live in an isolated village in Bali. Anything you can recommend to us would be exceptional. I am a healthy 33 year old who is calm about the entire experience but would appreciate a bit more encouragement or direction. Thank you in advance Treesa.

    Best regards,

    Sonrisa

    sonrisapt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete