Monday, March 9, 2009

Birth in Bali

I attended my first birth here a few days ago, and it was a gentle waterbirth. I am most struck by the families. They come and go and bring food for the mothers, They hold the babies a little, but mostly the moms rest with the babies for a day or two until the breastfeeding is established. 

I seldom here the babies cry.

I am beginning to feel like I might understand my role here. There are several other volunteers here, birth and office and accupuncturists. There are so many people. I feel as though I will never learn anyones names. But being here a few days, and I am starting to recognize people. 


Since my first birth I have attended two more, and was able to catch the baby and assist with the labor. It was wonderful to participate in a birth with so many different points of view. I am still in the role of a student so I ask lots of questions, and say "is it ok to do this or that" alot. 

Nights are very long here, for me. There are dogs everywhere and they fight at night so I wake up and sometimes can't get back to sleep. 

I did have Boxo which is the local soup sold by a vender in front  of the clinic. It was great, noodles and broth and meatballs, and crunchy fried things, mmm. And the clinic always has food too so today it was greenbeans and coconut. 

Tomorrow I think I will be going to a big temple ceremony with people from the clinic. We will take a two hour bus ride to the main temple in Bali. I have to wear special clothes. Really a serong and long sleeved shirt, I don't own real temple clothes. 

I miss everyone and my house, and cats. 

tree


No comments:

Post a Comment