Sunday, March 15, 2009

birth stories


I have been thinking about the stories of the births I have witnessed. 

I will not be writing specific birth stories or posting pictures of the families I help here. I cannot communicate well enough to ask permission of the families, and I do not feel comfortable sending their stories and images of them out into cyberspace. 


I have been to 7 births here and assisted with  of the births as a midwife. I have seen some complications, shoulder dystocia, labor dystocia (dystocia means stuck) and babies presenting with their heads just cocked slightly off center. One baby delivered LOT which basically means he was looking at his mothers leg instead of her back when he was born.  At every birth I am learning about midwifery, my role as a midwife, the practices I want to embrace and those that I want to avoid. 

Here I am also witnessing faith and spirituality completely intergrated into life. At births blessing are given and received, and prayers are sung to the new babies.  At one birht I sang Amazing Grace, and was brought to tears by the power of those words to hearten the mother, and strengthen the father. 

I have been embraced by new mothers and fathers, their families and the other midwives. The gratitude that the families express is overwhelming at times, because I am so grateful to them for allowing me to be present with them.

Tiramakasi/sama sama

Thank you or I give you love/ I also give you love

Because it is such an amazing an experience I will send snippets of stories, and images of the community in which I practice. I will always be grateful to the families here. 

love tree

No comments:

Post a Comment